Keeping an eye on swimmers



Maybe it's just me, but it seems there are a LOT more people free-swimming across the lakes. I'm sure it is people training for the triathlons, and I didn't give it much thought until last night, when we almost ran over one. We were reaching at about 5 knots, sitting on the low side to induce some heel when we quickly slipped by a swimmer. We didn't see him, and he didn't hear us. I don't know who was more surprised, but I DO know who was in more danger. There was over 20 boats on the lake last evening. Under these conditions, swimming in the open water is just dangerous.

I knew the MPRB was thinking about setting up open swim areas, but was pretty sure they had not done so. I called them, and they confirmed that open swimming was illegal, and pointed me to THIS page on their site. In addition, that told me I should call 911 to report swimmers. I'm not sure that I'll do that, but I would really hate to hit one, or even come close.

I don't know what the answer is. Try and look out, but with just a head above water, they are amazingly hard to see.

If you know someone that swims, let them know that:
1) Sailboats cannot see them
2) Often they will not hear us
3) We travel much faster then they can swim
4) If they must, morning is a MUCH better time to swim opposed to evening.

Anyone else have a near miss with a swimmer?

 

Comments

  1. You can't do anything anymore without someone telling you, "It's illegal." Since when is swimming in a lake illegal? I have a sailboat on the lake and I don't assume that I won't see swimmers. Just because we have sailboats doesn't mean we own that part of the lake. Come on everyone. Life is stressful enough without people making up new rules all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear what you are saying. And I agree that in general, there are too many rules trying to keep us safe from ourselves. But according to the MPRB laws, it IS illegal. I'm just reporting here, and I'm not saying I support law, but the fact the law exists makes it less likely that boaters will expect and look for swimmers. The MPRB considered open swimming this spring and ruled against it. I'm not sure the reason why. I just don't want anyone to get seriously hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obviously the free swimmers are assuming some risk. I've seen three swimmers while sailing this week, and yes they can be hard to spot. But with a nudge of the tiller they are also easy to avoid. I welcome the swimmers and anybody that can get some non-motorized recreational value out of our lake. (Although, is there a way the city can charge the swimmers a fee to help bring down the buoy cost!?)

    -EO

    ReplyDelete
  4. The swimmers may be welcome, but how welcome will it be to cover the lawsuit that is filed because you hit a swimmer you did not see with your boat? Or the life that may be lost because the swimmer drowned from the collision? Sometimes laws are made to protect the public. I have had profanities screamed at me from swimmers who use the docks for diving. It is very unpleasant. Why are boaters required to follow the law and the swimmers are exempt? FYI - I have called the "non-emergency" police number, but no one showed up and nothing was done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. EO - They do have a option, you can rent a lifeguard to row beside you... but I doubt that money goes to buoy cost defrayment..

    To the other poster, that's what I am afraid of. From jackdaw's helm I CANNOT see directly in front of me at water level inside of 100 feet of the bow. A swimmer's head looks like a football on the water.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The biggest problem with swimmers on Calhoun are those swimming off the SAILING dock.
    They are in danger of getting squished by an incoming boat or being run over by our motorized tenders before and after club races.
    I have only seen one open water swimmer this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Calhoun,

    We have that issue as well, along with FISHING from the sailing dock. We've run over fishing lines in the past, not seeing them. Funny the people get mad. I tell them to go read the signs.

    I think Harriet has a bigger problem with open water swimmers because the TC triathlon is on the lake. Swimmers do it to 'swim the course' There is at least one an evening.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey Mr.Clay,I live out off Mn but my grandpapa lives there and he sits at the picnic table at the lake twice a month if he is well enough and I get to see him cos he calls my mom when he is going to be there.Can you put the picnic table back so my grandpapa can sit down and I can see him cos he is old and can't stand for long please.It is cool to see him.My parents said you might be able to help with my request,I am 7.thank you Sir.The boats are really cool too.
    thank you from Perle

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DNR map of Lake Harriet

Vandals On Lake Harriet Strike Again