Fair Winds, Dick....

It is with a heavy heart that I have to report that this weekend we lost one of our own. Dick Stehly, who crews on C-Scows on Lake Calhoun, passed away on Saturday afternoon at Southdale Hospital, after suffering a heart attack Friday evening while playing ice hockey. Dick collapsed at the very start of the game, and although we were able to maintain breathing and cardiopulmonary function until the paramedics arrived, he never regained consciousness.

I had the pleasure to know Dick both as a sailor and a hockey player. He brought the same high level of passion to both sports. I remember talking to him two weeks ago after the big winds ran thru Minneapolis that weekend, and I told him about hitting 7.2 knots in my keelboat. He just smiled, eyes ablaze, and said 'You should have been on a scow, you would have been going 20'. Classic Dick.

Dick brought the same passion to hockey, where on two different team and two different leagues he often played left wing to my center.  Always fast, heads-up, and in the right place. He made me a better player when he was on the ice. I am sure Steve will say the same about the scow.

I'm going to miss Dick. I already do. But he went out doing something he loved and cared about. I suppose we all have to go sometime, and when I do, it will also be doing something I love.

Memorial Service Saturday, October 2, 2010, 10 AM at The Church of the Holy Name, 3637 11th Ave S, Minneapolis. Visitation Friday, October 1 from 5 8 PM at Gill Brothers Minneapolis Chapel, 5801 Lyndale Ave S. AND 1 hour prior to Service at the Church. 

Fair winds and following seas, Dick..

Comments

  1. hey Clay the upper webcam is stuck on the 17 sept,with only a few weeks left with boats on lake it would be good to keep it rolling,could you take a look please.
    Our sympathy about the sad loss of Dick.
    Great job with this site Clay,thanks for your energy and time ,keep up the fantastic networking.thanks from all of us...cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. Thanks for posting this about Dick. A fitting tribute.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping an eye on swimmers

Vandals On Lake Harriet Strike Again

DNR map of Lake Harriet