Countdown to Launch!


The snow is gone, the ice is off the lakes, and launch is just weeks away!

Several readers have send me messages noting that I have not been posting as much this spring, and that I was not at the buoy drawing last week. They wanted to know if all was well. The truth is I've been busy with a new job. And now there are two Beneteau's to look after.

So what do we know? Some things:

1) The tender ferry service with run on the weekends by the MPRB. To start, it will alternate days between Harriet and Calhoun.  On Wednesday nights, the LCYC and the LHYC will offer the service. As you can tell, some of the details (like how to call for a pickup) are still being worked out. Stay tuned for details. Note - The LHYC is a great deal at $35/year for a social membership. See HERE for more details. 

2) The buoy-in date is planned to be in late April, all else being equal. The Park Boards wants to avoid the issues of last year after the buoys were in later in May after the water was open for over a month. Typically, the day you get your MPRB transom sticker in the mail is the day you are allowed to launch.

3) The alert system set up last year worked very well. Right now, the system has all of our OLD buoy numbers. Next week, I'll send out an update on how to get you new buoy number in the system.

4) On Harriet, the new Bread & Pickle has its menu set. I'll post on the menu, and how the new services will work. As of now, we know that both early AM coffee and a delivery service are planned.

5) The so-called 22 foot limit went completely away, and now it seems that the MPRB is willing to work with boats up to 30 feet long. The good news is that everyone that was on the lakes is OK for this year; as long as you can launch it, you can sail it!

Jackdaw is ready to rock, just needs some new bottom paint to be 100% ready. Hope all your spring projects are winding down, and you boat is ready to set sail. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone on the lake.

Fair Winds to all in 2011!

ccb

Comments

  1. Interesting that the PB was able to collect the extra $50 bucks from everyone but the details of how the tender service will work aren't totally worked out. What I would say is it is nothing more than a pretty obvious way to increase revenues without giving any real services in return. Having a tender service alternating between lakes and so many sailors means that for each ride to my boat, I will likely pay $20 bucks a shot. If it were a real service I would have an option to "opt" out but obviously I don't. Pretty soon, sailing on the city lakes will be so far out of reach for anyone on a tight budget. Something needs to be overhauled here and it isn't the way I get to my sailboat.

    C. McCabe

    ReplyDelete
  2. CM,

    I agree with you. The fee is OK IF the MPRB treats us as valued customers, and not like a city utility. Sometimes they feel more like that. I'm not sure how the water taxi service will pan out. I doubt I will ever use it, but at least it is a step in the right direction. Let's hope they continue in that direction.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping an eye on swimmers

Vandals On Lake Harriet Strike Again

DNR map of Lake Harriet